Monday, March 5, 2012

Luke 2

Today my mind is scrambled by a verse I learned as a child. "Jesus increased in wisdom and stature, and in favor with God and people." I memorized this verse when I was a child but have never stopped to think about it. 

There are two parts of this verse I get.  First, Jesus grew in stature.  It seems obvious that like every boy, if you spent any time away from him, when you saw him again you would likely say, "You have grown so much!"  Secondly, Jesus grew in favor with people.  Everyone loves a child that is obedient, kind, curious, respectful, intelligent and "angelic". It would be easy for his to grow in favor with others.

Now to the more difficult things.  Jesus grew in wisdom and favor with God?  It is amazing that Jesus needed to "grow" in wisdom like all of us.  He had to learn to apply truth to living in a mature way.  Did he make "unsinful" mistakes along the way?  Did he have difficulty learning to read? Math? Interpersonal skills?  These are interesting thoughts.

What about the growing in favor with God!  Does that mean that God was more and more pleased with Him as he grew?  What was God's view of Jesus' childhood.  Did he laugh at His humanity and daily bumblings. Did he hurt when Jesus encountered difficultly with "gaining wisdom".  Hmm.

These are thoughts in my mind today.

Read it here.

1 comment:

  1. I have wondered this. I have wondered what a "sinless" baby looked like. Does that mean that He didn't cry? About anything, ever? Sometimes we discipline our kids because we mistake the situation or because we are tired and grouchy. Did this happen to Mary and Joseph or did they always assume He was the one in the right?
    It's why I like This Baby by Stephen Curtis Chapman even though my kids think it is a Christmas song, cause I've wondered.

    ReplyDelete