Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Rv3

If you are never rebuked or disciplined by God, you are not loved by Him. He promises to rebuke and discipline everyone He loves. His love for us requires that He challenges our wayward choices and calls us to follow Him. The only way to have relationship with God is to be daily committed to His ways and to be daily repentant from my own way.

Every morning I wake up with fresh ideas as to how to "do my own thing". A night's sleep, or even a nap, can reorient my world around my wants, desires and needs. My selfish heart constantly beats to draw me away from a life of service, submission and sacrifice. I am the one who contends with God for first place in my own heart.

In this chapter we see clearly God's daily invitation to believers like myself. He says, "Listen! I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears My voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and have dinner with him, and he with Me." Too often I hear His voice, yet refuse to open the door. I know what He is like. I know what He will call me to do. His desires are often not what I desire. Yet when I open the door, we have sweet fellowship.

Don't keep God on the outside today. Even if you know that to let Him in is to receive discipline and rebuke. It is the loving thing for Him to do. It demonstrates His love. Nothing could be more unloving than to let me continue in my own way. My way leads to self destruction.



No comments:

Post a Comment