Friday, April 26, 2013

Lk20

If you were pretending to be a particular kind of person, what kind of person would that be?  The Pharisees of Jesus' day "pretended" to be righteous!

This statement really struck me.  Were the Pharisees just pretenders?  Or did they believe themselves to actually be righteous?  I know many "christians" who pretend to be something they are not, but generally they seem to be self-deceived.  Many times we look at these religious leaders and think that they were horrible people.  It is likely they were really good people who were horribly deceived!  Religion apart from Jesus is one of the most blinding ways to live.

Again, Jesus makes the point, we will give an account for what we believe and how we act.  These "religious people" feared "the people" but they did not fear God.  Their actions were not in accord with God's will, nor were there hearts open to hear the teaching of Jesus.  It gives me pause today to examine my heart.  Am I open to God's will and listening to His desires for my day?



No comments:

Post a Comment