Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Jm5

Whoever turns a sinner from the error of his way will save his life from death and cover a multitude of sins. - James

James begins this chapter with a blatant condemnation of those who abuse riches! Wow. For those of us who have way more than our basic needs, pay careful attention to these verses. I can never read any verses about money and not be challenged with all that God has given me. These verses would apply to almost every person I know.

Luxury is living beyond what is necessary, having more than we need, etc. When I was in France, a rich country by world standards, I realized how luxurious America is! I am grateful that God has entrusted me with much as an American. Every day I enjoy the "luxuries" of life. Even now, I am sitting in my beautiful 4 season room, on a comfortable couch, drinking coffee from a Kurig, in clothes taken from a large assortment, having freshly showered in my own bathroom, with my electronic in hand and another in my pocket, etc.. I promise this chapter applies to me…and most likely you!

God is calling us to "not sin" with our wealth and we should help each other to think less about ourselves and more about others. Money and wealth are not evil. In fact, the bible teaches that they are a gift from God. It becomes evil when we "love" money and stuff rather than "use" money and stuff to honor God. 

James' basic teaching is simple. Anyone who lives for this life will have only the possibility of having a good life now. Even then, life will always have struggles. Whoever lives this life with God and His purposes in mind, even if their life is full of struggle, will have tremendous riches for all eternity. Live with eternity in focus.

Great chapter today.


No comments:

Post a Comment