Monday, October 10, 2016

Jn18

If we took Jesus' words to heart, "My kingdom is not of this world", how would this change our prayer life?

As I think about my own prayers, my heart is revealed. My desire is for Jesus to bring his power to bear on my earthly existence. I want my life to be better. I want my friends to be saved. I want everything to go great with everyone I know. I want to have a presidential candidate I can vote for! Etc.

Shouldn't I be praying a different kind of prayer? Shouldn't my prayers reflect that this life is not about my personal happiness? Shouldn't my prayers be about God's will? It is so easy for me to get wrapped up in my world. It is so difficult for me to think about the kingdom of God.

Jesus taught us to pray, "Your kingdom come, Your will be done." What would happen if we focused our prayers on this idea? How many of our prayers would be radically changed?

It's not about me today. It's not about you today. Pray for God's kingdom to come. Pray that we will be laborers in that kingdom.

No comments:

Post a Comment