Monday, June 18, 2012

Ro.4

If knowing that "your good works" won't save you causes you to "do less" for the kingdom of God, I bet you are actually truly lost.

I would argue that most people believe somehow that "works" are connected to how someone is saved.  Actually that is true only in one sense; my "work" of sin causes me to need salvation.  Someone said it right when they said, "The only thing I add to my salvation is the sin that makes it necessary."

On the other hand, if this understanding causes you to desire less of God and more of a sin-filled life, you totally don't get it.  Undeserved love and grace is not freedom to live how you please.  It is the opportunity to live as you should.  

I work not to earn salvation.  I work because of my salvation.  I work not to appease God.  I work because it pleases Him....and me.  When I sin I feel tremendous displeasure, not freedom.  When I choose to not sin, I feel the freedom that comes from salvation.

Thus Paul's point in chapter 4.

Read it here.

1 comment:

  1. Working out what God works in.

    Not working for something, but working in light of something.

    In view of God's mercies....

    Not living in view of God's mercies is a red flag that perhaps none of His mercies have been realized.

    ReplyDelete