Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Jn17

Live in answer to Jesus' prayer today! Before He was crucified, He was praying for us. Are we living in answer to that prayer?

As I examine the content of Jesus' prayer in light of the whole Gospel, I am amazed at how simple it is. I am also amazed at how clear Jesus speaks about the relationship that His followers will have with each other and the "world". If I were to truly live my life seeking to be an answer to Jesus' prayer, what would need to change?

First, it seems  that "this world" would "hate" me because of my love and loyalty to Jesus. I sometimes don't "fit in", but I rarely feel hated or rejected. I am confident this would not be true if I were living in a different part of the world. My faith would bring tremendous persecution. Even today Christians will be killed because they are Christians all over the world.

Secondly, it seems that I would work hard to be unified with other believers so that the "world" would continue to believe in Jesus. I am often caught in a discussion on minor issues that bring division among believers. We should know what we believe and know exactly why we believe it, but we should not be willing to be divisive over our "minor" differences. Jesus prayed for unity rooted in truth. 

No comments:

Post a Comment