Friday, January 15, 2016

Mt11

"Come to Me, all of you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. All of you, take up My yoke and learn from Me, because I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. My yoke is easy and my burden is light."

Let's consider the context of these verses! Jesus has just said to all of His disciples, "go out in my name and everyone will hate you!" Now He is saying, "Come to me and life will be burdenless and easy!?" So which is it? Is it difficult to live for Christ or is it easy! Will there be massive conflict or rest?

Once again... context, context, context. Jesus was talking about the judgement that is to come. This whole teaching was promoted by discussions about John the Baptist and the questions of John's disciples. Jesus was talking about what it would be like for anyone, or any city that rejected Him. Those who come to Him escape this awful judgement. But, in this life, they might not even have "soft clothes!" (vs. 8)

Jesus' focus was on the eternal and not the temporal. Where is our focus today?

No comments:

Post a Comment