Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Jn13

"A new command I give to you: Love one another. Just as I have loved you." The command to love was not new.  The command to love as Jesus loved was quite new!  No one had ever loved like Jesus loved and no one will ever love like Him again.  This is a fact.

How then can Jesus command us to "love, just as I have loved"?  Wouldn't that be like saying, "Walk on water, like I walked on water."  Even if I wanted to and was willing to try, would I ever be able to walk on water like Jesus did?  NOPE!  I could not.  If that is a fact, how can Jesus command us to "love like Him"?

When Jesus said "like Him" He was not referring to "exactly like" Him.  He was using "like" in the same way that we use it.  The command was to love in a manner that put other's desires and needs above mine.  It was a command to be humble and to serve.  Jesus' example was not a lesson on "how to be God", it was a lesson on how to love like God loves.

Whenever we choose to act and behave toward others in a manner that truly has their best interest in mind, we are loving "just like Jesus".  It is the way of love.  Jesus set a new standard that He commands us to follow.

Tough challenge

1 comment:

  1. no longer look only to your own interests, but also to the interests of others.

    philippians 2:4

    ReplyDelete