Monday, January 23, 2012

Matt. 16

Would you describe yourself as an "offense" to God? I love the apostle Peter! He goes from making a powerful declaration of faith right into a statement that gets him the ultimate rebuke.  Jesus said to him, "Get behind me, Satan! You are an offense to Me."

He became an "offense" to God!  Other translations use the word "stumbling block".  Jesus qualifies what He means with this statement, "because you are not thinking about God's concerns, but man's".  If what it takes to be an offense to Jesus is to be thinking about my own concerns rather than His...I am offensive often.

I have never thought about this passage like this before.  Jesus asks the most important question concerning His identity to the disciples. In response Peter makes a bold declaration of faith, for which he was commended.  His next move...to actually try to get Jesus to do His will rather than submitting himself to God's will.

I not only have done that, I have made it a habit!!  Jesus follows Peter's rebuke with this statement, "If anyone wants to come with Me, he must deny himself, take up his cross, and follow Me."  This is what I need.

Read it here.

No comments:

Post a Comment