Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Matt. 17

Talk less, listen more.  Jesus gave his disciples an opportunity to witness something supernatural on this earth.  They saw and experienced His transfiguration and a conversation He was having with Moses and Elijah!  

What was Peter's response? First, he thought of himself.  "Lord it is good for us to be here." And why was that?  Did they add anything to want was going on?  God is actually walking and speaking with Moses and Elijah in their presence and Peter actually thought they were adding to the experience? I think not.  

Secondly Peter wanted to "do" something. "We can build some alters."  At that point he was interrupted by God Himself!  The voice said, "This is My beloved Son. I take delight in Him. LISTEN to Him!"  It was a direct rebuke from God.  It was Peter's second rebuke in two chapters.

What was the problem?  It was that Peter, and I assume the others, actually thought they were adding to the experience and that their response should be to "do" something.  I am the same way.  I think Jesus would prefer me to experience His presence, enjoy His presence, be quiet and listen to HIm.

Read it here.

No comments:

Post a Comment