Thursday, May 3, 2012

Jn. 21

I know tons of people who say they love Jesus.  Of those "lovers" I know precious few who actually demonstrate that love with their lives.

Did Jesus really question Peter's love, or was he teaching him the appropriate response to loving Jesus?  I believe it was the latter.  Peter said, "you know that I love you!" Jesus' response might be summarized like this:  Pete, if you are professing love for me, why are you still fishing for fish?  I told you to follow me and fish for men.  

I believe Jesus would say to all of us. "I hear your words...I want to see your obedience.  Many say that they love me, I want active followers."

read it here.

1 comment:

  1. I wish Peter would have helped out the expositors (and theological neat-nicks like myself) by asking the natural follow up question: "More than these what? These people, these fish, or that I have more love for You than other people have love for you."

    In any scenario, however, taking care of the sheep is clearly the appropriate response.

    ReplyDelete